Monday, March 8, 2010

Something about ME

My dear readers

Apart from a routine 9 – 5 job, my free time is blogging around…honestly I’m a VERY late starter even I enjoy reading conflicting articles in some blogger.com in the local scene which give opportunity to test my thinking gap…i.e the “Otherhalf” syndrome in me…After reading, surely I’ll go to the comments section and explore the thinking of others on the article written, this one in particular appeals to me… and I guess you reader may know who’s blog I’m talking about here.

By S..Tan on March 6, 2010 11:35 AM
Dear YAB Tun, salam mesra harap sihat. Kiriman saya dgn izin..............CARS – BEAUTY PAGEANT?
A car is about brand image; confidence and trust as it is a big ticket long term buy and concerns safety. To be accepted globally it must be successful locally. So long as the world feels Proton’s success in M’sia is due to protectionism it will not gain external acceptance. Unless M’sians subsidize the foreigners by letting them buy at cheaper rate than us. This is what happens now.
You can have the best looking car with great features, it will not sell on these alone. Car industry is not a beauty pageant. Proton will face China, India, Sweden, Czech, Russia (not world renowned brands also) whose cars have superior reputation to Proton. Proton faces a huge challenge; don’t saddle it with another stigma...protection from extinction. Proton pakai gear tongkat?
Compelling M’sians is different from convincing foreigners. Maybe you can tell them off, you don’t have to like the M’sian way of making cars?


Many or mostly initially, we have this skeptical syndrome of not trusting our own products…and for years this product of us being label intensely..Just to name a few…Jaguh Kampung, Kereta Tin Milo etc etc..bla bla bla so on and so forth.

Pardon me of saying...to some extend buying a car is racism and have a certain degree of patriotic in questions…ever wonder why??? And it also reflects the earning power of our multi racial country. Forget about the patriotic and racism part…that alone cannot be solve in a day of a century.

What in the world I am blabbing about…

Well it is because my experience with 2 colleagues of mine from Brazil & Saudi during my uni years abroad…we started to talk about cars and comparing the car we drove back home…and of coz I say that I drove a local car; Proton and with a sniffer look towards me they try to figure it out what car is that and say…you Malaysian manufacture your own car..Proudly I say…YES. That was more than 20 years ago..Some historic era.

Yearly latter, I have heard Proton participate some international automobile shows and each time when such news came to me…the above memory flashes back…and the recent one is no exceptions.

Credits to Chedet.com-GENEVA Motor Show and the commentor above…Cheers and Hat’s off…PROTON!

No comments:

Post a Comment